Im confused :(

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

Stueh
Regular
Regular

Im confused :(

I have recently got a new graphics card... i love it, but dont think im getting the best out of it... (others with similar or inferior cards are getting better performance)

I keep all the settings on low yet my frame rate only just stays about 120...

Gfx: ati 4870 1gb
cpu: Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
ram: 4gb ddr2-800
mobo: asus p5b-v
psu: 600watt

Using the latest drivers on a fresh install of vista business, with css res of 1024 x 1024 (my monitor is 1400x900 so its the max on css)

I thought i should be at least getting 180 solidly... :(

any ideas??

nb: i thought about the heat, its only 40-65 full load, with the fan around 33%
Stueh
Regular
Regular

sorry its 1280 x 1024(lcd) couldnt remember off the top of my head... i tried putting the settings up and got a bit more fps, but nothing consistant.

Out of interest, are there two revisions of PCI-E?? b/c i checked the chipset on my motherboard and its intel g695 which seems really old compared to the p35's which support pci-e 2.0 x16 :/

drivers are up to date, not sure about direct x (should be) and vista updates itself
Gavac220

PCi-e 2 has more bandwidth. (perhaps mobo/ram is a bottleneck, but i'd need to do some research)

That is low with a 4870 (120fps). Have you done a 3dmark test yet? post your scores, and heat if you can with standard settings..
Stueh
Regular
Regular

P8675 3D marks

cpu score was about 8-9k

The highest ive seen is 67 at 95% load @ 33% fan rate.

I think your right with the mobo/ram being a bottleneck, this mobo was one of the first to support quad core technology, so its a bit old now... perhaps its the old revision of pci-e :(
Gavac220

I have a Q6600 (True overclocked to 3.6ghz) and a 4870.

Heat is high for a non clocked system (My extremely overclocked setup runs an awful lot cooler, and thats only on air), but is not a worry, and not the issue holding you back. At this point I'd suspect that mobo is the problem.

None of this is a disaster - you still have higher/equal scores to most of OFc, but you really aren't getting the performance you have paid for. :?

I assume those are 3DMark results for 3DMark Vantage, under a Vista operating system?
Stueh
Regular
Regular

What mobo you got gav(interested to in the 3.6 speed :O)?

Im gonna be looking into another case (or at least more fans, i think i have 1 lol then the cpu) in the near future as well so if anyone has any recemendations please post them :)
bambam
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

your 3dmark is ballpark ok isn't it? I'm not convinced CSS framerate is a reliable performance indicator at 120 fps+. I.e. any number above 120 is probably meaningless - mine goes above that sometimes but it varies a lot by map.

I *bet* you could crank up the AA/AF settings plus any other graphics options in game and the framerate would be the same, i.e. you're not GPU limited.

Bamz
Sparx
Newcomer
Newcomer

Try older drivers it is known that new ATi 9series drivers are cuasing some people more hassle than actually working

and yes you should be getting more as my 4870 512MB gets more fps than what your saying usual 180+ on css at full with res of 1680x1050
RawR...The cookies shall bring you to the dark side...
Geek Shiz - PS3/X360/Wii/ PC Rig - Q9300,ATi 4870,4GB DDR2 1066,ASUS P5Q Pro,2x 320GB Samsung, G5 Mouse,Saitek Eclipse Keyboard,22" LG Monitor[/i:5d8fb
Gavac220

:idea: OMG 8O - 120fps lock? Just dawned on me.,.. Do you have VSync active in your catylyst control panel? Or/And in game?

Switch it off!!!

I've got an Asus P5K-e wifi deluxe. Good board, and clocks real easy.

(and again, are you running Vista, and did you use 3DMark vantage to get that score?)
Stueh
Regular
Regular

not that im aware of :/ it doesnt lock, just jump madly between 120-160...

sorry, yea it was using the vantage version of 3d mark. Ill re-run the benchmark if i have time tommorrow and post results up...

I was looking at the P5Q seems a good board, asus have nice motherboards but a rubbishly slow website :(