L4D ping vs CS:S ping

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

snoopy
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

L4D ping vs CS:S ping

i dont know why, and have tried everything i can think of, but for some reason i can play l4d and have a decent ping, and when i play css, i get kicked.

i have taken screenshots of my net_graph, if anyone needs to have a look for css, but i dont know what to do.

i have re-installed steam and css and l4d, but still have this problem. i have no viruses etc.

can anyone shed some light on the matter please, as it means i can no longer play on server 1 or 2
Be a team player, or be a shield

snoopy
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Re: L4D ping vs CS:S ping

any thoughts would help as i can no longer play css, and its getting boring playing the same 4 maps over and over again on l4d.

basically, this is what i get

either Image

or this

as you can see the in fluctuates from these 2 numbers.

any ideas?

please.......

IXL
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council
Location: WEDS : GRID, THURS : D.O.D : SOURCE, FRI : C/STRIKE SOURCE, SAT/SUN : BATTLEFIELD 2

Is this CS ping on ANY cs server or OFc's server one and two?

In each config, IE, L4D and CS, just compare what the rates settings are and see if they are different.

cl_cmdrate "XX"
cl_updaterate "XX"

and so on....

IT might be an idea also to just do a ping trace on each ip. ( Use HLSW, it has one built in so you can use it on your favourite ips ).

I know for a fact that the servers are all on the same box, however they could still route differently, so it just could be a bad hop.
IXL
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council
Location: WEDS : GRID, THURS : D.O.D : SOURCE, FRI : C/STRIKE SOURCE, SAT/SUN : BATTLEFIELD 2

Bullet wrote:Everything EVERYONE (ESPECIALLY server admins) need to know about tickrate.
http://forums.srcds.com/viewtopic/1094

Updated version, with Tickrate tables
http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index.php/Tickrate
Bullet... I dont see how tick rates are relevent for a "single" clients issue (in this case, snoopy's) ? Can you elaborate on your theory on why a tickrate on both servers would cause this issue for just one player? Im at a loss. Are you suggesting its related to the server tickrate or have I miss-understood your post?
Schlack
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

its [OFc] land ....... a magical place full of dirty jokes and donkey pron, where the rules of physics and electronics do not apply
"It takes a brave man not to be a hero in the Red Army". - Joseph Stalin
recruit
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Call me mad but they are all running on the same box yeah? If they are not do a tracert for each ip n' paste the results. If so ..do one anyway so we can see :)
The Techno Scotsman!

www.sinweb.co.uk
snoopy
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

my details are

cl_updaterate 100
cl_cmdrate 100
rates 25000

these screenshots were from ofc server1, however, all css servers i have tried comes up like this, although all l4d servers i have tried are fine(including server 4)

simplyme was with me last night, and when i joined server1 playing militia, it was fine, until the map changed, when my ping rose slightly.

also, been on cmd prompt, and traced a rate to google, but the response times out each time.

Mseries3
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Try Defraging your Game files.

Steam ----> My Games ----> CS:S ------> Local Files ----> Defragment cache files.
Stueh
Regular
Regular

Snoop.

Ignore this rubbish about tickrate. If they read it properly they would find its all about the server and the servers are (dunno about s1) fine with only isolated issues (unless reported by an SA on here).

Having the 101 for cmdrate and updaterate is complete rubbish as most of the time you get 101 updates a second on a 100 tick server anyway (or 100.8 or something silly like that).

Remember that the config you have for css WILL PROBERLY NOT WORK as the games are on different game engines. L4d (like TF2) is on the newer orange box engine, on the other hand CSS is on the older Source game engine. So its worth typing the commands again in the L4d console.

Also, in steam double check the settings and make sure it matches the speed of your internet. Start from here and lets see if you have any joy :)

Stueh
JohnMcClane

Try
Steam > Settings > Downloads

Make sure it's on the right setting, I'm on a 20mb connection so I use the >10mb one, steam is a bit sneaky and changes it sometimes so it's worth checking every so often (infact before I took that screenshot it was telling me my download region was Germany!)
snoopy
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

made sure all files defragged, and made sure settings are correct for speed on line on steam etc

i have looked on console, and it appears some things like sounds are not loading properly.

in a few days if this isn't sorted, im going to have a full reboot of the pc and re-install everything to see if that works

Stueh
Regular
Regular

can yu post the console output as you load css through to joining the server please mate :)

Cheers for the picture McClane :)

Stu
IXL
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

recruit wrote:Call me mad but they are all running on the same box yeah? If they are not do a tracert for each ip n' paste the results. If so ..do one anyway so we can see :)
It doesnt always work like that. Routes can be differnt.
Jolteh wrote:Snoop.

Ignore this rubbish about tickrate. If they read it properly they would find its all about the server and the servers are (dunno about s1) fine with only isolated issues (unless reported by an SA on here).
That was my point really.
Jolteh wrote:Remember that the config you have for css WILL PROBERLY NOT WORK as the games are on different game engines. L4d (like TF2) is on the newer orange box engine, on the other hand CSS is on the older Source game engine. So its worth typing the commands again in the L4d console.
Hmm, im not so sure about that. Configs as far as connection commands and settings are always the same.
snoopy
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Jolteh, is this what you want?

Map: cs_mercado
Players: 7 / 24
Build 3734
Server Number 206
SetConVar: No such cvar ( mani_nextmap set to de_aztec_extended), skipping
SetConVar: No such cvar ( mani_tickrate set to 100), skipping
SetConVar: No such cvar ( mani_reserve_slots set to 1), skipping
No pure server whitelist. sv_pure = 0
CAsyncWavDataCache: 2 .wavs total 0 bytes, 0.00 % of capacity
Begin loading faces (loads materials)
End loading faces (loads materials)
Initializing renderer...
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (./models/props_foliage/tree_deciduous_card_01_skybox.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props/de_dust/du_palm_tree01_skybx.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props/pi_fern.mdl)
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props/de_dust/du_palm_tree01_skybx.mdl)
File 'downloads/b38f30aa.dat' requested from server 78.129.134.9:27015.
[OFc] snoopy connected

I.X.L, what do i need to look for(sorry not technically minded, i can play games, but not fix them unless i have already seen the problem before)
i have re-inastalled steam and l4d and cs:s 3 days ago though, and the problems started before then

IXL
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Just as a CRAZY test... do you get teh same FPS and netgraph tests figures when you start a new game by yourself... ( one player ) ?

I just want to try an eliminate home before away, so to speak.

Do you have any other network cards / connections on your pc? IF so, dissable all of them except the one that should be used. ( Local Area Connection 1).