iSCSI help

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

recruit
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

iSCSI help

I’ve posted this on a tech form but I know we have quite a large technical resource here so I thought some of you might be able to help
I have windows storage server acting as our SAN with the Microsoft iSCSI target component installed.

I’ve recently been put in charge with network for various reasons. Currently we have one target set up called the SAN server hostname. In this target we have 10 LUNS. Every host on the network that utilises iscsi has there iqn added to this single targets properties.

Now I don’t think this is the way it should be set up. If I connect with the MS initiator to the target instead of being able to select what LUN I want to use it picks every lun in the target and mounts them to the host. As you can imagine this is a cause for concern.

I believe every initiator should have its own target set up on storage server [unless it’s sharing disks]. The Sys admin that set this up say this is not the way it should be set up as the iscsi lan only has one nic into the storage server, and he heard somewhere that you shouldn’t have multiple targets on the same nic.

This may have some validility to it however I find it doubtful as the same bandwidth would be passing through the nic whether or not it was being identified as a different target or not.

So my question is, can I have multipal targets running on one nic?

I will be using multipath and teamed connections for the iscsi LAN on the SAN in the future however this is of current and critical concern to me. If anyone has any experience of this please let me know, your help would be very much appreciated.
The Techno Scotsman!

www.sinweb.co.uk
IXL
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council
Location: WEDS : GRID, THURS : D.O.D : SOURCE, FRI : C/STRIKE SOURCE, SAT/SUN : BATTLEFIELD 2

Re: iSCSI help

Im in the same boat as you, we have LUNs and it was pre-installed just a month before I started at my company. I dont get chance to really look at it much, too busy with other stuff and meetings... :S

TBH tho, there are three of us IT chaps at our 500 head company, doing all the IT for 4 sites, 3 UK and 1 in Spain so we dont tend to get chance to tweak systems unless theres's a problem. ( "If it aint broke..." ).

My question tho is...
The Sys admin that set this up say this is not the way it should be set up
if it aint the way he / she thinks it should be set up, then why did they do it and they should of stated the alternative?

Is this anyhelp?

http://waynes-world-it.blogspot.com/200 ... n-hba.html
recruit
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Re: iSCSI help

Yeah that was pretty intresting. It seams I can have multipal tragets on one nic although its not recommended..anywhere. The theroetical speed of iSCSI is say 150Mb/s, if your on a gb network. I you add another target on the same nic, that target will also get 150Mb/s throughput. so 2 tagets on the same nic is 300Mb/s. If you have 10 luns on the same target they all have to use the 150mb/s.

Madness
The Techno Scotsman!

www.sinweb.co.uk