Wireless question

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

jackDEFECTORbauer
Regular
Regular

Wireless question

Right, I've been googling all over the place looking for an answer to this one and have turned up nothing!

I am testing out a thin client PC based on XP embedded. They are being used to connect from home into company network / citrix. They work ok but the top brass are demanding WPA2 only if using wireless to connect. WPA, let alone WEP are not good enough.

My problem is that after testing I was able to connect to my home based WPA network. I've yet to test WEP but it seems you can connect to any old network you like, regardless of encryption level. About 150 of these thin clients are to be rolled out and in their current form it seems they are allowed to connect to any network.

Ideally, the machines should only be allowed to connect to a WPA2 secured network.

Any ideas on whether this can be acheived without expensive software etc?

Thanks!
recruit
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Re: Wireless question

jackDEFECTORbauer wrote:Right, I've been googling all over the place looking for an answer to this one and have turned up nothing!

I am testing out a thin client PC based on XP embedded. They are being used to connect from home into company network / citrix. They work ok but the top brass are demanding WPA2 only if using wireless to connect. WPA, let alone WEP are not good enough.

My problem is that after testing I was able to connect to my home based WPA network. I've yet to test WEP but it seems you can connect to any old network you like, regardless of encryption level. About 150 of these thin clients are to be rolled out and in their current form it seems they are allowed to connect to any network.

Ideally, the machines should only be allowed to connect to a WPA2 secured network.

Any ideas on whether this can be acheived without expensive software etc?

Thanks!
Hi Jack,
A wireless think client eh? Thats a new one on me. I usually buy wyse sx0 clients because we get them for about £150 as opposed to £210.
Anyway this has nothing to do with think clients I just find it interesting.

So all thats really happening here is you want a device to connect to your home wifi network with WPA2? Whats the spec of the thin client, will its network card allow the wpa 2 protocol? Let us know the model number of the TC and we can look up its quick specs. If its embedded xp you might require to re flash the client to get an updated version of windows embedded.
The Techno Scotsman!

www.sinweb.co.uk
Thundercat
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Re: Wireless question

IF you saying you wish the client ONLY to connect to a specified wireless network and not auto connect to any free network it finds try....

1. Go to Control Panel > Network Connections.
2. Right click the Wireless Network Connection > choose Properties.
3. In the Wireless Networks' tab, check 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings' (it is checked by default).
4. Click Refresh, it will list all available wireless networks.
5. Click Add to only add your own secure wireless network.
6. Click Advanced. Make sure that the option 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks' is unchecked. Thus, it will only
connect to the preferred networks.
7. Click OK, OK.

Also look here.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 78124.aspx

If that's what your asking :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/71Thunderous
New youtube channel (I fecked up my old one)