Fail..

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Fail..

Hey!

Me and a friend of mine were playing computer and drinking beer, then we drop a beer into his computer, don't ask how.. The computer just shut off, any ideas on how to fix it? :o

*His computer might be an alcoholic...

Cheers!
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Re: Fail..

let it dry. wait. and hope :D but i think you have destroyed some important devices. you have to check what it is. maybe only the psu is damaged or the motherboard and if you are unlucky you destroyed all :D

You see, my english is really bad. Pls feel free to send me the correct version of my sentences via pm :D
Schlack
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

"It takes a brave man not to be a hero in the Red Army". - Joseph Stalin
Stern
Regular
Regular

Let it dry. I mean let it properly dry. Contrary to popular belief pc's and laptops CAN survive spillages as long as it's been turned off pretty quickly. Even computers that have just shut down by themselves after a spill have come back to life.

Personally I'd advise taking a slightly damp cloth and cleaning the boards VERY carefully and then letting it dry naturally for a few days. Obviously only do this if you know what you're doing and have seen the inside of a pc before =P If you're not comfortable doing that then just keep it unplugged for a fwe days, open the side of the case and let it air dry. DO NOT use a hairdryer or anything on it lol.

My gf spilled a rather large cup of tean over her £1500 Alienware laptop a few months ago and it survived so I've first hand experience of success...however there's no guarantee here. If something has shorted on the boards then they could be goosed.

Be patient though and let it dry first.
-
A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

Blackcurrant
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

I think you have lost the beer, I'm sorry for your loss.
Amazon are selling boxes of beer now that shouldnt spill so easy.

when you power it up next time if it doesn't work i would take it apart and clean everything with IPA (not India pale ale) then foam cleaner and/or fairy washing up liquid, then run under hot/warm water (don't remove any oils from fans etc) then use an air duster to remove most water then dry it in a fan oven (70DegC). if you leave beer to dry it'll leave a mess and attract bees.

hth
Gavac220

I haven't laughed this hard in years :lol:

"Honey, are you on that damn computer again??"

Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

To bad we tried to fix it drunk.. We tried to start it as soon as i shut down, and it said poff again, now his going to buy a new one.. :P Oh did i mention the smoke? :|
ionwg
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Lol