Weird computer problem.

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Weird computer problem.

It's really wierd sometimes my computer won't turn on.. and the way to fix it is constatly pressing the start button for about 5 minutes.. anyone know what might be the problem? :?:
Schlack
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Re: Weird computer problem.

Fat fingers?

perhaps a loose connection between the power switch and motherboard, what are dem little wires called?
"It takes a brave man not to be a hero in the Red Army". - Joseph Stalin
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Is this from cold? or is it after the system switches itself off because of a fault?
---------------------------------------
Life is a Terminal Disease

Muddy
Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

both, dosen't matter if I was running a minute ago or 1 day ago.. still the same problem.
Stan
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

I had something similar recently and I "fixed" it by messing in my bios.

When it was faulty, the system failed to start I was getting pc case lights and a brief HDD flicker, but nothing on monitor and no error beeps.
Also of note, I could tell when it was and wasnt going to boot from the loudness of the fans. The wierd thing was all fans were running when I checked them.

Before I found my bios fix I tried removing all cards (including graphics) and it made no difference - that just left MB, cpu, fans and PSU connected - not a peep.

If it isnt something that can be fixed in bios I suggest you try a different PSU.

I'm sorry I can't remember which bios settings actually fixed it, but I suspect it was related to a graphics setting or one of the AMD specific settings on my MB.
Slartibartfast
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Sounds like a loose or faulty connection somewhere.

You could try reseating the parts and securing all the connections before delving any deeper.
Illegitimi non carborundum

smithster
Regular
Regular

have you been inside your case recently? installed a new part?

i'd reseat all the bits and bobs like people have said above and then try your bios, if you havent overclocked anything or changed any specific settings in your bois maybe try resetting it to default or even a bios upgrade. I'd also try resetting the cmos too if all that fails.
Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Hey guys!

My computer is still fucked but I've noticed something new during one of the restarts. It said that the computer had to close down because the CPU fan failed, but I looked at the CPU fan during the message and it was still going strong. Any ideas?
Could it be that the bios is sending the wrong signals?

Oh, one more thing.. My stupied desktop takes between 15 and 30 mins to start.. Untill it does I have to use the task manger to start programs and it sucks..
LK3da
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

i had something like that on my other system, i wont start because during the BIOS load it checked all fans and temparature and the cpu fan send incorrect fan speed siganls.
maybe it helps, if u are sure the fans are working, to disable the CPU fan check on startup.
was my solution...
Gavac220
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

As he said^^^ or try flashing to a newer Bios. Be careful doing this, and read up on how to do it first!
Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Thanks for the tips!

But I think I might have fixed it, I removed the RAM memories and noticed when one specific RAM was plugged in it didn't start so I just removed it and now it seems to run fine. So everything came down to one fucking faluty RAM.. If this will work im gonna break that fucker in two.

But I still noticed something strange on startup, It said it was running the default BIOS settings due to something called a Checksum Issue or Update Issue.. Dunno what that means though..
Gavac220
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

For Checksum issue, read this:- http://www.tech-faq.com/checksum-error.html

I would clear your CMOS. Your motherboards manual will tell you how, but usually there is a "Jumper" next to the battery on you Motherboard. The battery is just a small watch battery. The jumper is a little cover. There are 3 pins " l l l " and the jumper goes over two of them. You lift the little jumper off the first two pins, and then cover the 2nd and 3rd pins for a minute. You then return it to cover the 1st and 2nd pins. The blanks the CMOS memory, and it will then take the current settings the Bios has, with the lower RAM being accounted for.

Battery with the CMOS jumper under the red arrow:- Image

Get back and see how that works.
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

but switch off the power before you switch the jumper! btw. READ THE FUCKING MANUAL! i think you have to turn of the power, change jumper, turn on, wait, turn off, change jumper back, turn on. only the manual can tell you what is to do!

did you tried to flash your bios?! maybe it was a wrong flashfile or it was an mistake at the flashingprocess.

You see, my english is really bad. Pls feel free to send me the correct version of my sentences via pm :D
Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Thanks for the tip Gav. I'm starting to think it's my motherboard that is fucked, I crash again last night just after I posted here, so I removed a nother RAM memory and now it works even better, but now I only have 2gb :/

I've been looking for a bios flash thingy on the web for ages, can't find it anywhere.. There is something crazy going on with my computer, may it burn in computer hell forever!
Gavac220
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

OK. Get back to us when you have cleared the CMOS, then flashed the Bios. If you cannot find a suitable Bios flash, then post the make and model of your motherboard here! If you do not know that, then use this programme "CPU-Z - Download here: http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1. ... tup-en.exe

Run it, and click on the "Mainboard" tab at the top. There it will tell you the manufacturer and model, and revision. Post that info in here! We can help find a suitable Bios.

Also on that same page of info in CPU-Z, under the Mainboard manufacturer etc, it has the Bios info. Brand, Version and Date. Please also post these 3 bits of info here