Computer Build

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Computer Build

Hey guys!

I'm thinking about building a computer and I could use some help. I've been "window shopping" and I built this (cheers for the help slarti), now I got some questions, first of all will this even fit togheter and if it does, is it a decent enough computer?
I did not include a graphic card because I got one which I think will be enough for the time being. It's a nVIDIA Geforce 240 GT, that should work for the time being right?

Will this do, or is something missing?

Edit: I'm trying to find a good CPU cooler. anyone got some good suggestions? I was thinking about Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler, but it's freaking huge. I think I want a water cooler thingy.

Link http://www.komplett.se/k/shoplist.aspx? ... 4ED7B8E9AE
asdasdasd.JPG
Cheers! :D
Last edited by Sayril on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavac220
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Re: Computer Build

You have some pretty serious looking kit in that list. The current graphics card would really bottle-neck it all. By that I mean, having a Ferrari chassis and engine, with the body work/aerodynamics and interior of a Ford Transit Van. It will move quickly initially, but it will look poor (graphics in this case), and never truly fly as fast as it could.

A good budget ATi Card like the HD 6850 or HD 5770. Not too expensive, but would be a big improvement on the Nvidia 240.
Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Thanks for the response mate, I looked at the graphic cards and to me they looked all the same. But I will probably buy a new one in the near future anyways.
Gavac220
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

The above is on a HD 5750! I'm recommending the HD 5770 and HD6850, which both would be way ahead of all those in the table above. GT240 will run CS fine, but will struggle with newer titles. As I say, not a necessity, but it will be holding back all those other (expensive) components you are going for, and you won't get the true benefit without a graphics card upgrade. :)
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

nice choice of ram and cpu.

dont know the motherboard but looks fine. maybe you should buy a bigger powersupplyunit if you want a sli in the near future.

and gavac said it. u destroy the wounderful build with this graficcard :-D you will hate your system because u think its slow just because of your graficcard :D

You see, my english is really bad. Pls feel free to send me the correct version of my sentences via pm :D
Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

shutteh wrote:maybe you should buy a bigger powersupplyunit if you want a sli in the near future.
What's a sli?
Pingu
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

SLI = Standard Linkable Interface (or something like that). Basically, it allows you to connect and use 2 matching graphics cards in the same machine.
Nemes1s
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

its called crossfire for amd aint it or something like that
BATTLE ROYALE
CAN U KILL YOUR BEST FRIEND

^Stueh
Regular
Regular

Crossfire is ATI cards, SLI is nvidia cards.

It's the joining of two (or more) graphics cards to increase performance of the system. Can render alternate frames etc depending on the configuration. Css supports this now as well I believe (think i posted a gfx a while back)

<3 Stueh
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

yep. sli for nvidia, crossfire for ati

nvidia cards can be used as physx cards. so you use one card only for special graphic effects. you can see videos on youtube about physx on/off on some games. problem is that only nvidia use it and not every game support this.

joker use sli ... maybe you can ask him what he think about but i think he will tell you thats fantastic :D

and dude, buy a good silent cpu cooler :D i like my noctua :)

You see, my english is really bad. Pls feel free to send me the correct version of my sentences via pm :D
MegaYoda
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

What is the minimum Watt power supply you would recommend with Sayrils build Shutty? Just asking as I am starting to put a list together for my PC build. Was thinking about this one http://www.scan.co.uk/products/700w-coo ... -135mm-fan

Any suggestions on how much RAM is needed now a days?
Redddraggon
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

MegaYoda wrote:Any suggestions on how much RAM is needed now a days?
6GB+

I have 6GB and I run Crysis 2 on Extreme graphics (other important specs - 1920x1080, i7 930, HD5870) and it runs well.
MegaYoda
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Cheers Dragon, how much did your whole system cost roughly?
Redddraggon
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

~£1000, loads of new stuff came out not long after though, so I reckon I bought at the wrong time.
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

yeah yoda. 700W is good if its a named psu and you dont want a second graphiccard.

http://www.journeysystems.com/power_supply/ i dont know if this page has any current hardware but its good for a first approximate calculation.

some i7 cpu's used tripple channel ddr so you should choose 6gb. 3*2gb 1600mhz! or if its a dual channel i would start with 4gb(2*2gb) cause 8gb(2*4gb) is to expensive. and i read thats not good to use every slot of the ramslots. its better to use 4*2gb instead of 4*1gb. if more ramslots used the reaction time can increase.