Home network question.

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

Para
[OFc] Senior Admin
[OFc] Senior Admin
Location: now i am really, really Oot In't Sticks (Bonnie Scotland)

Home network question.

Ok lads i have a small question for all you IT gurus !

ok my elderly parents have just had BT broadband installed in their home (BT homehub setup)
They have a small office at the back of the house (about 70 yards away) with a landline phone in it using the same line as the house and they want broadband set up there too, i have tried using the wireless signal from the homehub out there but the signal is too weak and keeps dropping off.

i have a spare Netgear DGN2200 router and i have set it up with the outside office pc but i cant to get it to detect the BT internet connection, what do i need to do to get it to detect the connection ? its doing my head in ! :roll:
The Fail Cakes are on me !................
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Re: Home network question.

what you need is a CAN-Antenna like this http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html for a better connection :)

I have only german information about it and this was the first english link i found.

A friend is using a kind of this antenna and get a good connection to his university in round about 1km distance.

You see, my english is really bad. Pls feel free to send me the correct version of my sentences via pm :D
Redddraggon
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Homeplugs/Powerline Networking.

It's like a traditional wired network however it uses the power cables to carry the data, and only works if the two points are on the same circuit. You can get wireless access points and stuff for it.

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-har ... -via-mains

Loads of choice at Scan. Any more info you want give me a shout - that's how I've got my parent's house all networked up.
Para
[OFc] Senior Admin
[OFc] Senior Admin

i did consider the powerline plugs as i have used them in the past but the office/house are on a different circut ! bugger !

i would prefer to set it up over the phoneline if possible as i fancy using it to game on rather than sitting in my freezing workshop ! lol :wink:
MegaYoda
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

I have my virgin router at the front of my house and I connected it to a home plug network adaptor to another wifi router in my lounge which is at the back of my house facing the garden. My son connects his ps3 to the router signal in the lounge from our garden summer house. Not sure if this is of any use to you mate. I have small garden so the distance for me isnt a great issue
Nemes1s
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

My router is white :D
BATTLE ROYALE
CAN U KILL YOUR BEST FRIEND

ionwg
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

multiple options :

1. Change wireless channel on the router, this may have a greater reach less radio noise.
2. Buyer a new router with wireless N (assuming you are use B and G) N has a greater range and signal handling
3. Configure router to use N is possible
4. within your parents house move the router to a more central location using a telephone extension cable, therefore moving the radio footprint.
5. Buy a wireless access point with the ability to bridge and repeat wireless signal
6. purchase a wireless access point and connect to BT router via an ethernet cable (RJ45)

7. Do nothing!
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Are you trying to connect to the ADSL on the phone line? While you have the other router connected to the ADSL line at the same time? If so then you can't do that. Only one at a time. If you turn off the router in the main house then the router in the shed will work if your phone line to the shed is the same line and you have a filter on it. (could be that the line quality is so bad that it wont work anyway)

I have set up my bosses house with power line. If the shed and the house are off the same fuse box then it should work.

For about £130 you could also do it with a dedicated 5GHz wifi link. check out these babies:

http://www.wifi-stock.co.uk/details/loco5m.html

Not sure if that comes with the power over ethernet supply brick. But they are probably another £20 for the pair.

I have installed a pair of these about 400m apart and have a 50Gbit link that has not been restarted for 10 months! Fekkin brick shit house.
---------------------------------------
Life is a Terminal Disease

Muddy
Para
[OFc] Senior Admin
[OFc] Senior Admin

Ah Muddy me old comrade at last some one that appears to be making sense ! aa)

Muddy wrote: Are you trying to connect to the ADSL on the phone line? While you have the other router connected to the ADSL line at the same time?

Yes i thought that would work ok, but clearly not. it would be best if they could run at the same time rather than switching from one to the other so mum can sit in the house with her laptop and my old man can piss about in his office.

i have a spare couple of powerline adapters in my own home so i might give them a try, but when i quized my old man about the electircity set up between the house and the office, he said he put it in himself and by past experiences i just know its going to be a massive birds nest ! lol so that might rule out the powerline adapters ! lol

i like the look of those 5Ghz wi-fi link i will look into that ! Cheers Muddington ab)
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

No prob Para, but in reality the ubiquiti kit is a bit overkill for what you are after. Standard WiFi should work if you can get your homehub onto a windowsill that is visible from the garden office. Wifi is great when there's nowt but a highland fog in the way!

At 70m you could just lay an ethernet cable in the rose beds!

Muddy
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Here is a possibility. Use one of these to give you a wifi connection.

http://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/6dbi-wif ... p-sma.html

Only £15 and you would probably only need one. You just have to have a router that allows you to remove one of the antenna and replace it with one of these. As long as your router has this capability then you locate it near a window and point this beastie out the window towards the office at the bottom of the garden. In the garden you could probably just use normal wireless kit, a laptop with a built in antenna or if a PC then you would need a wifi card.

Para - if you need any help with this then I can come out and set it up for you. I like pissin about with wireless stuff.

Muddy
bambam
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

MudShark wrote:I can come out and set it up for you. I like pissin about with sexy guys.
Para
[OFc] Senior Admin
[OFc] Senior Admin

LoL Bamz ! ye radge :mrgreen:

hmmm after some fiddling about and testing various things it could be more complicated than i thought :|

i have a feeling the only thin that might work is the wifi links in your first post muddy, is it just a case of buying two plugging one into the router in the house and mounting it on the house wall then mounting the other on the office wall and plugging it into the pc ? i have also decided to put two pc's in the garden office (my old pc and my old mans relic) if its possible as i am sick of sitting in my freezing workshop to try and get some game time ! lol
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Pretty much. I had a few headaches with my office setup but it turned out one of the units was faulty. Even so they need a little setting up. Manuals are never any good nowadays so some trolling round the forums was in order. Do you have line of sight?

Did you try powerline stuff because that should be the easiest option and you said you had some kit.

These ubiquiti units actually have 2 ports on them but that is at the antenna end - you would need two ports inside - a cheap hub or switch would do you for that. Here's one for less than a tenner.
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Sh ... uctID=9673

The offer stands to give you a hand with this. All I charge is beer.

Muddy
Para
[OFc] Senior Admin
[OFc] Senior Admin

By God !
i got the time this morning to nip over to my folks place and try out some ideas and by some small miracle the Powerline Adapers actually worked !! and are showing a download speed of 1.4meg ! 8O

ok but i still want the ability to put two Pc'c out in their garden office and use them both online at the same time, the setup at the moment looks like this.

Home BT router--ethernet--Powerline Adapter--to--Garden office Powerline adapter--ethernet--Pc

so my question is what kind of splitter/router do i need to put into the garden office so the powerline adapter can feed two Pc's instead of one at the moment ?