I need a new Monitor

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

I need a new Monitor

Hi guys,

I am thinking about to change my 22" monitor to a 27". I have seen a curved one in the electronic shop and it looks really nice.
Is anybody using a curved monitor?

I am not sure which combination is better. There is one with 144Hz and 1ms reaction time but only Full HD or the other one has 144Hz, WQHD and 4 ms reaction time.
Usecase is gaming and homeoffice. So i am not sure if I should choose the one with the better resolution instead of the reaction time.

Options are:

C27JG56QQU
https://www.samsung.com/de/monitors/cur ... g-c27jg54/

C27FG73
https://www.samsung.com/de/monitors/cur ... G73FQUXEN/

or maybe as a third option: LC27RG54FQUXZG
https://www.samsung.com/de/monitors/curved-gaming-crg5/

any recommandation?
PC Hardware is a I7 920 and a Nvidia GTX 970

You see, my english is really bad. Pls feel free to send me the correct version of my sentences via pm :D
wesbot
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Re: I need a new Monitor

Hey Shutteh
Hope you're well mate.

Sorry meant to reply to this a while ago and forgot.

You might have already bought a monitor, and if so, that's cool. Then maybe this info will help someone else (if at least myself, to rationalise my choice).

I'm in the same boat and I kind of look into things in quite a bit of detail so sorry but here goes...

Depending on your gpu, you want to be at WQHD (1440p) at about 27". This resolution at 60hz is a nice sweet spot for value at the moment but if you want a bit more headroom, like most people, you will find a lot of 144hz monitors that offer a much smoother experience if you have good enough kit to push over 100 frames.

And now with nVidia G-sync compatible on some freesync monitors now, you don't have to pay nvidia tax. G-Sync / freesync basically syncs your gpu frames to your monitor refresh rate when you are under your monitors max refresh. I'm only just using it on my freesync monitor for the last week and it's super smooth, but no deal breaker. I'm only mentioning it because there's no point paying 'extra' for gsync monitor since you have an nvidia card, as it will happily play nicely with freesync (AMD's no-extra-cost version) provided the monitor is approved. For AMD cards stick with freesync displays, as this will not work on a gsync monitor.

Then there is panel types, which is a whole other ball game. The exact same panel from the same make can come off the factory floor with completely different results. Shit-show - but here goes....

TN is the utter garbage one most people use, and really popular with 1080p monitors. The benefit is they are super quick response times and have high refresh, very low latency and if you get a good make you can get some 'okay' colour and contrast. The downside is they mostly look like shit from all angles. Have you looked at your phone and realised how it looks so much better than pc monitors? That's because (avoiding oLED for now) it's probably an IPS panel - colour and contrast should be much better and viewing angle is drastically improved - even looking at it dead on. If you do image editing or do a lot of work at home then something like a Dell 4k IPS monitor is the way to go.

So you think to yourself, "Great! High refresh IPS gaming monitor gonna be perfect right?" Well, not really. IPS monitors come with some draw backs, and these are more pronounced, depending on the model. Sometimes they're not as responsive and can introduce motion blur. You can also get that horrible glow on the side of the panel in dark scenes -- my LG TV does have some of this and fuck me its annoying -- but you do get used to it and its only really noticeable in dark scenes. However, IPS technology is improving and great strides are being made to combat the downsides, because most people know the colours and contrast are where it's at. Games look fuller and richer, and if you can run 4k with HDR (kind of interesting atm and not essential but we'll see), at a high frame rate then you've hit something not only unaffordable but no doubt mf mind-blowing.

Then there is VA panels but I wouldn't go near them at the moment. They're trying to do everything well, but the response times are too slow for gaming atm so forget it.

More on this shit here if you want to geek out ----> https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1890 ... pls-va-crt

Therefore, I think the best buy at the moment considering the technology is is a 27" WQHD 100+hz IPS monitor from a reputable brand, but it can be a bit of a lottery due to panel discrepencies. Something like:

ASUS TUF VG27AQ
LG 27GL850-B

Less of a gamble is a WQHD TN panel because you should get lower colour/contrast but solid, smooth response times. Something like a Dell S2716DG.

I am in the same boat wanting to go to 1440p 27" and contemplating whether to take a risk now on an IPS panel (my choice is the LG 27GL850-B for fast response times) or just stick with TN like the dell. But I do occasionally need good colour for image editing so it's tough choice atm. Slarty got a nice Acer Nitro 75hz 1440p monitor which I have seen and I was really impressed for the price so I'm also considering that.

There's no perfect monitor, but if you take the time and effort you can find a deal on a juicy one that should see you through several years at least so I think it's worth the effort.

Sorry I don't know much about curved! I know this was your preference but there is no reason why the above couldn't be applied to purchasing curved as you should have similar technology in it. Just look for a good review on the sites below before you purchase. EDIT - just found rtings round up of curved - you're right samsung is a good brand here - https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... g-monitors

Reliable info to check out (as there's a lot of misinformation out there):

- Best 2020 gaming monitors -- https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... age/gaming

- https://pcmonitors.info/

- More: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... t_monitor/

Hope this helps.
Last edited by wesbot on Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schlack
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Thanks wes, our discord chat is pushing me towards some retail therapy and a Monitor is on the agenda.
"It takes a brave man not to be a hero in the Red Army". - Joseph Stalin
wesbot
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Schlack you have no excuse, you're running a 2080. You could probably do 4k with quite high graphics and still hit some okay frame rates, so I'd probably aim there. I'd probably start by looking at the rtings site for 4k because they review everything and compare it - https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... tra-hd-uhd

However, prices are a bit eye watering so I would probably still go with the WQHD monitors because it will be easier to push at high refresh than 4k. I just think in general high refresh with high quality graphics settings at 4k gaming is overall too expensive right now and with consoles supposedly going to do 4k more easily (mind you at low refresh rates) we're going to probably see that change pretty soon.
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

I bought the MSI Optix-MAG271CQR.

It is a really nice monitor and I feel great with the curved. I have no problems with the VA panel and for me it runs very well. In CS:GO the FPS are high enough to have a benefit of 144Hz and in BF5 my GPU is so bad that I have only ~40FPS with the higher resolution.

If I had a better graphiccard I had choosen the Optix MAG341CQ. But then I have to upgrade my complet PC :/

You see, my english is really bad. Pls feel free to send me the correct version of my sentences via pm :D
wesbot
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Interesting. I will look up that monitor! Since reading more into VA myself I found out that the response times are improving and overall they're becoming easier to recommend. But still, monitor buying is such a crapshoot! Enjoy your new monitor!
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

yeah it was horrible to get informations which one is good at the moment. There are a lot of threads about IPS, VA, Samsung VA, TN. TN displays are often only with HD resolution and I want a better resolution for the 27".
There were no good offer with IPS and then I took the stuff with the VA (or I think samsung VA panel is it).

And I do not need a good view from the side because I am sitting direct in front of my display. So this benefit for IPS can be ignored.