GPU temperature

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

Dannyf
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Yea Exibit I have new case fans coming soon as well (should be today but judging by their current status in DHL tracking they won't be) so that should bring down my overall temperature.

To be honest though, I'm not certain it is the Gpu, but what happens is my screen just goes blank and I can't get back to my desktop, so I thought it must be.
There doesn't seem to be any change to the computer itself though, no unusual noises and all the fans remain at their previous fan speed (as far as I can tell by ear anyway).

I'll try to get a temperature reading from my Cpu when its under load but I think its alright.

Here's my NVIDIA Monitor:

Exibit
[OFc] Senior Admin
[OFc] Senior Admin

try this one m8 its free and very good at cpu temps http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
A Dog Is For Life
Not Just A Friday
Night
Gavac220

Core Temp is a lot better. Advised by all major overclocking sites.

Get it here - Core Temp
Dannyf
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

At this stage, I'm pretty sure its the Cpu now.

My fans did end up coming today, so I got them installed and they work like a charm. Have my graphics card well below 50 under load now.

Did a stress test on my Cpu and found that the temperature of one of the cores was reaching 75, and that was only after 10 minutes.

Have had problems with the Cpu fan in the past as well so I was hoping it wasn't it but looks like I'll be getting a new fan for it as well soon.

So hopefully in a months time I will be crash-free and lag-free (changing ISP as well, since they're shit) and ready to make up for lost killing-time! :twisted:

Thanks for all the help again lads!
bambam
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

In case there is any interest for future reference, my 8800GT runs at 50 deg idle, 66 degrees max under load. I increased the GPU clock from 600Mhz to 660Mhz and it was stable with no change (maybe a degree) in operating temperature. The GPU memory wasn't very overclockable above the default 900MHz and I ended up leaving it there.

Bambam
Exibit
[OFc] Senior Admin
[OFc] Senior Admin

Yea Gav is right real Temp is also very good

To give you a guide I have just turned on my machine and I am getting Core 0 = 29c Core 1 = 31c these are idle temps

Install either Real temp or CPU Z and put your idle temps on the forum at idle and we will go from there

Exib 8)
A Dog Is For Life
Not Just A Friday
Night
Dannyf
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

The difference between the 2 always remains at that constant ~5 degrees, even though the cores are numbered differently.

As for CPU Z, it seems to tell me absolutely everything about my CPU except temperature! Can post a picture anyway if you want.

Pretty sure it is the CPU as the last time I had a problem with the fan (wasn't mounted properly) I noticed the thermal paste was not looking in the best condition.
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Distance to TJ Max? Why are your cores all different distances from that well known clothing store?
---------------------------------------
Life is a Terminal Disease

Muddy
Slartibartfast
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Elementry my dear muddington , the temps of all the cores are different so therefore the distance to tj max(95) is different for each one .
Illegitimi non carborundum

bambam
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

either (a) Slarti has never actually been shopping in a regular store, or (b) TJ Maxx couldn't be arsed to try and flog their quality merchandise to the Irish.

Bamz
bambam
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

n.b. unlike earlier processors the core2 onwards cpu's crank up the power a lot when they're busy. Unjlike the Pentium 4 which used to sit there and warm up the house regardless of the cpu load. So you *have* to check the temps under load or it's meaningless e.g. run any cpu benchmark e.g. pcmark.

Bamz
Slartibartfast
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

bambam wrote:either (a) Slarti has never actually been shopping in a regular store, or (b) TJ Maxx couldn't be arsed to try and flog their quality merchandise to the Irish
TJ maxx is not a regular store its a shithole full of reject and offsize clothes , the only reason i can think of using quality and TJ Maxx in the same sentence is to say that it is devoid of it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Gavac220

Temperatures are v.high if not loaded Danny! Even if they were done while cpu stressed, they are higher than mine, and its overclocked to 3.6mhz when i took this image!! Yours is at stock setting at 2.4mhz. I only use a lot of fans and a good case.

Even so Danny, your temps you displayed are well within parameters that shouldn't cause any issues, but if you run an application like prime95, which stress's/loads your cpu to the max, it could definetly through up errors. This means if a game or benchmark does the same stress, it could give you the problems you are having.

Please download Prime95 here:-Prime95

Run a 'blend' benchmark and see if it throughs up errors or crashes. This will certainly narrow it down/nail it to your processor.

Good luck and post your findings
Exibit
[OFc] Senior Admin
[OFc] Senior Admin

Have to agree Danny your temps are high

What is the CPU cooler you are using at the moment ???

is it a stock cooler ??

As I stated in a few post above I tunred on my pc and have CPU 0 = 29c and CPU 1 = 31c at idle I have been playing Grid and COD 5 for the past 3 or 4 hours and the temps are back to what they were as idle

I think you need to re seat the heat sink or re place the CPU cooler

Please do not do this without advice from the the forums I have done this 3 times now,

The 1st time I was shitting me self as I did not want to use to much artic silver but I have it down to a tea now so please ask before doing this !!

Exib 8)
A Dog Is For Life
Not Just A Friday
Night
Dannyf
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Yea its the stock fan.

Like I said earlier I did have some problems with the fan before, mainly due to the shite mounting clips Intel decided to use, but I do know that now it is in place correctly.

However that does also mean that there was probably some damage to the thermal paste done while the heatsink wasn't mounted properly.

So I most likely will be replacing the cooler, possible with THIS, but any other suggestions are appreciated.

Any tips on actual installation are also welcome, although I'm sure there are some detailed guides on t'internet if I get stuck.

Will be a couple of weeks before I get it anyway as I loaned my brother some cash before I realised I needed a new fan! Ah well, live and learn!