GPU temperature

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

---------------------------------------
Life is a Terminal Disease

Muddy
Exibit
[OFc] Senior Admin
[OFc] Senior Admin

Its not an easy question to answer as you will get different points of view in regards to CPU cooler, I use Tuniq Tower and the reviews on the net are very good for this ccoler
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =HS-002-SB

http://www.tuniq.com.tw/Cooler%20Info/Tower-120.htm

Features:

Midship Ventilation - Unique 9 blade fan in the heart of cooler offers better performance than regular 7 blade fans
Large heatsinks to maximize cooling performance
120mm fan with ultra silent operation
Perfect for all K8 or P4 CPUs - Specially designed clips provide a secure attachment on motherboard
Fan controller included
High performance thermal grease included. (Tuniq TX1 Thermal Grease) Thermal Conductivity : > 3.3W/m.K
3x heatpipe design provides superb heat dissipation

Compatibility:

478 (Celeron, Celeron D, Pentium 4)
775 (Celeron D, Pentium 4, Pentium D, Core 2 Duo)
754 (Sempron, Athlon 64)
939 (Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2, Athlon 64 FX, Opteron, Dual-Core Opteron)
940 (Athlon 64 FX, Opteron, Dual-Core Opteron)
AM2 (Sempron, Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2, Athlon 64 FX)

Packaging & Contents

The Tuniq Tower comes in a colorful box with images of the cooler, specifications and features.

The box opens easily and everything is surrounded by stiff foam. Sunbeam takes advantage of every inch of packaging and has all the mounting hardware separated into its own little space.

The Tuniq Tower comes with a wide array of mounting hardware, including two backplates for Intel CPUs, an H-plate, six thumbscrews and springs, a clip for AM2 installation and four small screws.

Also included is a PCI plate controller for the fan, which is black in color, and the wires are wrapped in black tubing. Sunbeam includes an installation manual, complete with an additional sheet for AM2 installation. There is a small syringe of thermal compound included as well.
A Closer Look
The Tuniq Tower is an upright heatsink made of aluminum fins, a copper base and three U-shaped copper heatpipes.

The fins on the Tuniq Tower have a tribal-flame shape to them, which increases the surface area and the cooling ability. On top there is a black plate which is actually the top of the fan mounting. The fan assembly slides out and exposes the gap between the fins where the fan rests.

The fan is a 120mm model that is adjustable from 1000 to 2000RPM with the included fan controller. There are two sets of wires coming from the bottom of the fan. The first set are the two wires for the controller, and they are wrapped in black tubing and terminated with a two-pin connector. The other set are the fan wires, which are not covered in black tubing and are terminated with a standard three-pin connector. The fan wires are very long, which makes it possible to plug them into a front-mounted aftermarket fan controller if the user chooses to do so.

Instead of covering the base with a plastic film or sticker, Sunbeam wrapped the base in a few sheets of tissue paper. While this does not protect it as much as the other methods, it does not leave any sticky residue behind. The base of the Tuniq Tower is made up of three U-shaped heatpipes sandwiched between a thick piece of copper and a small bracket.
The base does not have any visible mill marks, but it does have sanding marks across the surface. Although the base does feel smooth to the touch, the razor test shows the base is slightly concave.

Installation
To install the Tuniq Tower on a Socket 939 system, the following parts are required: the chrome H-plate, two thumbscrews and springs (marked for K8 installation) and the four small screws.

After cleaning the heat spreader on the CPU, the next step is to remove the stock retention module.
It is a good idea to remove the fan assembly at this point to make the installation much easier. The H-plate needs to slide between the heatpipes, and the small tab on the heatsink base should be located in the small hole in the center of the plate. Apply the thermal compound according to the manufacturer's directions and lower the Tuniq Tower over the CPU, making sure to line up the holes on the plate with the holes on the CPU backplate. For a Socket 939 CPU, this can be done easily by viewing from the top and looking between the fins.
Each of the two springs need to slide onto the thumbscrews as pictured above. Insert one screw into the hole on the H-plate marked "K8" and tighten it until it catches in the backplate, and repeat for the other screw. Tighten each screw a little at a time, going back and forth from one side to the other until the plate is secure.
After installing the heatsink it was immediately removed to check the thermal compound underneath. Although there was a suction effect with the compound, it did not spread out very much, probably due to the concave nature of the base.
With the heatsink reinstalled, the next step is to replace the fan assembly. Simply slide it in from the top, making sure to align the shape of the top with the shape of the fins, and making sure to not pinch the fan wires. Once in place, the top can be secured with the four small screws.
Next the fan connector was plugged into the motherboard. Since the wires are so long they had to be bundled up and tucked out of the way, which makes it look somewhat messy.
The next step was to install the PCI plate fan controller. The knob needed to be removed since it was too large to fit inside the space. Align the controller and secure it in place, then plug the connector from the fan into the header on the controller. Again, the wires here are a bit long, too, and they needed to be bundled up tucked out of the way. Replace the knob making sure to align it with the label on the PCI plate.
With the assembly complete the size of the Tuniq Tower becomes a concern. Installed it is nearly as tall as the motherboard tray, but it managed to slide into the case with little room to spare. Once everything is installed back into the case there was plenty of room around the heatsink.

Running the system at stock speeds shows the Tuniq Tower performs at the top of the list. There was little difference between low speed and high as far as temperatures were concerned, but high speed managed to give the best result so far.

When the CPU is overclocked and the voltage increased slightly, the difference starts to separate a bit more. Once again, the high speed manages to bring the temperature down farther than before under 100% load.
Fan NoiseTo measure fan noise we used an IEC Type 2 sound level meter on the dbA setting. Measuring distance was 10 cm from the heatsink fan hub. The short distance of 10 cm is necessary to get proper readings with very silent fans. All fans were tested outside of the case at 12V supplied by a lab PSU. On fans that come with a fan controller or allow control of fan speed in any other way, "low" and "high" indicate the settings on the fan controller.
At low speed the fan included with the Tuniq Tower is one of the quietest in our test group. However at full speed it becomes almost as loud as the Thermaltake SmartFan 2. At least with the fan controller the user can adjust the speed (and noise level) as needed.

Exib 8)
A Dog Is For Life
Not Just A Friday
Night
Gavac220

I'm an avid overclocker, and I can get great results on air with one of these - Clicky it--->> Artic cooling freezer pro 7

I put my CPU's through a lot more stress by over clocking them, and temperatures rise a lot when doing this. With the same CPU as yourself, you can see I have mine running at over 1MHz more and this baby still has it 20deg cooler!

Not too expensive either and very easy to fit! My personal recommendation.
Thundercat
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Always wanted to try a water cooled system was looking at something like...

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130717

But just I dunno water and PC just my brain says no...

My fave has to be this one tho....