Latency problems

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

ManBearPig
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Latency problems

Right, so for about the last 2 weeks, ive had ping of ~350 , except every so often it just drops down to under 100. I have no idea why its like this
Nobody downloading, reset the router countless times. and its starting to really piss me off because i cant come on css :x
Can anyone help me?
Redddraggon
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Wireless? Is it protected? Anybody that shouldn't be on your network?
ManBearPig
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Sorry, forgot to say that its wired
Stueh
Regular
Regular

doesnt matter, if the router has wireless built in, you havent set up up to be secure (even if you dont use it) people can sponge your tinterwebs
IXL
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council
Location: WEDS : GRID, THURS : D.O.D : SOURCE, FRI : C/STRIKE SOURCE, SAT/SUN : BATTLEFIELD 2

Check for spyware....

Also, does it do it on other servers, other games?

Have you got steam setup to do updates automatically?

What about X-fire, is that set the same?

Whats your ping responce times to say, bbc.co.uk for example... or even better a ping trace to the server?
Stan
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

I have exactly the same problem, have had for 2 weeks.

I'm a wired connection with BT broadband, wireless is completely disabled.

I join OFc server 1 with a ping of 350, which gradually reduces, but not quickly enough to stop and autokick.
Occasionally it settles at about 80-85 latency and I dont get kicked, but I still can't hit anything (not even Highway).

I have checked viruses, nothing else is connected, and I have checked through all running processes - I can't see anything wrong.

I can connect to other servers (non OFc) and get a healthy ping of 35 and play - but why the hell would I want to do that?

Im going to keep shutting my router down for 10 mins at a time in the hope that I get a better path to the OFc servers, it the only thing I can think to do.
Any other ideas.

Stan Stillalot
SimplyMe
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

open cmd and type in this:tracert www.google.co.uk
and see the result. u should see where the problem is.
Slartibartfast
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Stan wrote:I have exactly the same problem, have had for 2 weeks.

I'm a wired connection with BT broadband, wireless is completely disabled.

I join OFc server 1 with a ping of 350, which gradually reduces, but not quickly enough to stop and autokick.
Occasionally it settles at about 80-85 latency and I dont get kicked, but I still can't hit anything (not even Highway).

I have checked viruses, nothing else is connected, and I have checked through all running processes - I can't see anything wrong.

I can connect to other servers (non OFc) and get a healthy ping of 35 and play - but why the hell would I want to do that?

Im going to keep shutting my router down for 10 mins at a time in the hope that I get a better path to the OFc servers, it the only thing I can think to do.
Any other ideas.

Stan Stillalot
Me and mankey had the same problems last year stan . when we ran a tracert to the server's ip the major block was when it passed through rapidswitch .
Righted itself after about 2 weeks . Someone else here had problems with rapidswitch aswell ( Myth or Morg maybe?) .
Illegitimi non carborundum

Stan
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Yey, its fixed.

I left my router off on Saturday night, tested it sunday morning and hey presto - great ping - and I can hit stuff again too!

I dont know if downing my router overnight helped.
Stan
snoopy
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

i have been having the same problem, but its been longer than 2 weeks. when i join the server( any server, come to think of it) i get autokicked, and then rejoin, and its fine, and i kick ass(especially slartis).

i know responses have been posted, but can someone explain what to do in laymans terms.

(im a genious but never spent time on technical problems)

i just did the test, test 1 9ms 7ms 13ms
test 2-12 request timed out
test 13 69ms 68ms 70ms

can someone translate?
Thundercat
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Stan wrote:Yey, its fixed.

I left my router off on Saturday night, tested it sunday morning and hey presto - great ping - and I can hit stuff again too!

I dont know if downing my router overnight helped.
Stan
This sounds like IP cycling, looks like you had a dud IP assigned from the ISP to your router. When you downed the router for a good few hours it released the IP back into the free pot to be reassigned. When you switched back on you got a new IP.

Why you get some dud IP's sometimes Im never sure but it happens.
smithster
Regular
Regular

yeah you need to leave the router off for around 15 mins usually so that the exchange releases your ip and dishes u out a enw one.